While I was up in Michigan, we had some delicious Elephant Ears. My mom had made Homemade Flour Tortillas for dinner…an amazing Mexican feast. We had left over dough that was put to good use.
Below is the adapted recipe for the tortillas. To make Elephant Ears, follow the additional instructions.
INGREDIENTS FOR TORTILLAS
- 4 cups organic flour or 50-50 blend with whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
Prep Time: 15 Minutes // Cook Time: 45 Minutes // Ready In: 1 Hour // Servings: 24
DIRECTIONS FOR TORTILLAS
- Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the coconut oil with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.
- Coconut Oil
- Melted Butter
- Raw Sugar or Xylitol